Kyoto, Japan’s prime tourist destination.
Annually, 67 million people visit Kyoto, but only 800 thousand are from overseas.
Language is an obstacle for foreign tourists, limiting their ability to get information or access destinations.
Guidebooks and maps provide only limited information, and are inconvenient to use while en route.
To solve this inconvenience for foreign visitors, the Kyoto Prefecture Government has developed “Charisma Navigation,” a mobile navigation system for tourism that provides you with various information and functions, such as Charisma’s recommended courses with specific theme, searching tourism database, navigating to the destination by bus, subway and on foot with help of GPS, so that you can easily get authentic but local tourism contents in Kyoto and Nara.
- In “Recommended Courses”, 20 courses (tours) are presented, each having its own theme and being suitable for a day trip.
- In the “List of Courses,” you can view the contents of a course via a narrated slideshow.
You can see this slideshow for every course.
- One course consists of about 8 spots.You can view data for each spot, including a brief description, address, telephone number, menu, etc.Moreover, you can view the location on a map and check out its atmosphere and scenery via beautiful photos.
- Select “Destination Route,” and GPS will measure your exact location automatically.Then it will show you the most suitable bus route from your present location to the destination.
- “Easy Navi Walk” will guide you to your destination, plotting the best route along a displayed map. A line on the map shows the route to your destination and voice guidance will inform you in advance when you should turn a corner.
- Select “Contents Search” in the Main Menu, and you can search from among more than 1000 spots for places to see, to eat, or to buy goods, outside those listed in the course contents.
- Select “Conversation” from the Main Menu, and basic patterns of conversation will be displayed, which consist of Japanese pronunciations and meanings in English.
- Select “Menu” in course contents or spot data and chose “Poll.” You can vote on a course or a spot, evaluating its service, prices and so on. Then your comment will be saved and added to the database, and will appear with a star beside it on the spot description.
- Charisma Navigation” also provides you with constantly updated information. It provides visual displays about events, such as festivals and museum exhibitions.
- Moreover you can easily make a call to contact important resources like hospitals, the police or your embassy.
- You can also use the “Interpreter Service” in English, to help you with emergency communication in Japanese.